Our training helps you find the information you need to support your work and CPD. We offer individual and group sessions, in the library or your workplace. Some individual sessions can be held remotely via Skype for Business. Contact us to discuss your training needs or book a session below.
Staff based in North Staffordshire can also attend training at The Royal Stoke University Hospital Health Library. View their scheduled training sessions.
Learn how to search for high quality health information using key sources, use search engines effectively and assess website quality and reliability.
Learn how to search clinical databases (e.g. CINAHL, PsycINFO) to find evidence and information to support your work, study and professional or service development. Training can incorporate your own research interests and refresher training is also provided.
Learn about levels of evidence, systematic reviews, and how to search this key evidence based resource effectively.
We'll help you keep up to date with the latest information, evidence and guidelines in your field.
Learn how to search the library catalogue and manage your online library account. Get help with accessing and downloading e-books and using your Open Athens account to find and read articles. Get help with referencing your sources and finding items on your reading list.
Learn how to critically appraise a qualitative or quantitative research article using a critical appraisal checklist and learn how to assess its relevance to your work.
View the MPFT Research and Innovation department page for information and support with writing research proposals, analysing data and applying for ethics approval.
Health Education England have developed the following modules to help you search for literature effectively. You do not require a login and each module takes a maximum of 20 minutes. Certificates are awarded upon completion.
Building the Foundations
- Recognise when you need to conduct a search
- Identify search skills you need to develop
- Find approprate information on your topic
- Find the full-text of a journal article
- Focus your search question
- Identify additional search terms
- Use AND/OR to combine search terms
Developing the Skills
- Apply limits to your search
- See how different methods of searching affect the results
- Amend your search strategy to reduce the number of results
- See how removing keywords from your search affects the results
- Amend your search strategy to increase the number of results
- Using subject headings or thesaurus terms
- Broaden or narrow the search using subject headings
Fill in the form below to book a training session. Once we have received your request, a member of library staff will contact you to discuss your training requirements.